Re: book

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/04/01-10:08:12 PM Z

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Sandy King wrote:

> When an article by someone other than youself is published in Post-Factory,
> who owns copyright to the article? Is it you or the author?
>
> Sandy King

Sandy, so far as I know, anyone who's been asked to reprint their P-F
article has kindly asked permission, which I'm happy to give. Actually,
since we have no contract (and I, sorry to say, have not purchased the
work -- in a more perfect world, I'd pay them a mint and have serial
rights, paperback rights, foreign rights, and movie rights), I'm delighted
for them to get whatever further exposure, fame, use, pleasure, feedback,
etc. they can. I might have a certain moral right, having often been
instrumental in the shaping -- but that's my pleasure, too.

But I'm thinking about other features and my own articles... And here I am
thinking/rethinking.

Incidentally, I'd thought that the NY Times (and company) simply put their
stuff on the web, and had wondered about that. Now I'm told it's just THAT
DAY'S PAPER. After that if you want something it's $2 an article. This is
not something I want to do (with any number of zeros added), but does show
that everything isn't always free on the web, as many now seem to expect,
if not demand.

Judy