Re: Copyright Law Violation - was Re: book

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/05/01-10:32:28 PM Z

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Luc Novovitch wrote:

> So, tell me if I'm wrong Judy... your friend is a curator, she takes steps
> to prevent downloading of images she puts on her web site, but in the same

Actually Luc, I don't think she did.. unless you mean putting images up in
small size. She's also showing work by others than herself, owned by
others, etc. etc. etc. --- the ramifications are many... They are,
however, often (New Yorker covers for instance) readily available in full
size fine screen versions. I guess the web is easier though in that you
don't have to scan, or even get your butt up off the chair -- not even go
to the door to take in the mail.

I myself tear pages out of art magazines to keep as reference. That's what
they're for. If I were so crass as to attempt copy in work of my
own (as did Jeff Koons).... well I guess the lawsuit is more publicity.

If someone halfway around the world is going to use my image unbenownst to
me, well they can do that from a magazine too. But anyway that's likely to
be at T-shirt level.I think the kind of copying started this thread is in
its most prevalent form teacher copying articles for class handout.

The teacher makes 30 copies of an article to hand to the class without
permission, not just P-F obviously, many books and articles. This is of
course against the law. Commercial copy places won't do it. But now
everyone has a copier of their own and not a 2nd thought. Practice used to
be for the material to be on reserve for that class at school library &
students responsible for getting to it themselves. If they made individual
copies on library machine, at least they'd given some thought, not just
spoon fed.

> For mac users, they just have to click and stay clicked on an image, a menu
> will appear asking if they want to save, copy etc... the image.

But it didn't, was the point.

Judy