Re: Copyright Law Violation - was Re: book

From: Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Date: 03/06/01-08:43:53 AM Z

<snip>
> The teacher makes 30 copies of an article to hand to the class without
> permission, not just P-F obviously, many books and articles. This is of
> course against the law. Commercial copy places won't do it. But now
> everyone has a copier of their own and not a 2nd thought. Practice used to
> be for the material to be on reserve for that class at school library &
> students responsible for getting to it themselves. If they made individual
> copies on library machine, at least they'd given some thought, not just
> spoon fed.
> Judy

This really astonishes me, because it happens at our university. Since
there is not an Experimental Photography textbook that fulfills all the
needs of the class we teach, (we use Hirsch's Photographic Possibilities but
that hardly covers anything we do; it's been newly updated but only to
include digital, which is another class)(mind you, there are now lots of alt
process books, but the best Ex Ph one is Jim Stone's Darkroom Dynamics, now
in need of an update, too), I have undertaken this semester a writing of my
own Exp Ph textbook/workbook. I have busted my butt getting this done,
testing the process first, then writing out the handout, one per week for
the students, and copy sliding student and my own work for inclusion.
     The teacher who normally teaches the course xeroxes whole chapters out
of books and magazine articles. I was under the impression that for a 'one
time educational use' this was OK, but this seems out of that bounds. And
furthermore, by the time I am done writing this thing, it'll require less
paper to copy down at Kinko's than all the copied chapters handed out
before! (probably about 100 pp)
     My opinion is that the universities do not give teachers enough time to
do research and write out these kinds of things on top of their heavy loads.
And then they expect them to produce creative work and publish! I am able
to because I am half time. But it is also in my nature to organize and
research. The sad thing is, when the course reverts back to the normal
tenured teacher next semester (I am only teaching it because one of the
tenured faculty is on sabbatical, and so the normal Exp Ph teacher took over
those courses and let me teach her Exp Ph one), I am *sure* (note large
emphasis) the workbook I have written will not be used because it would look
bad, you know? But, heck, at least I've organized all my photo thoughts
into one place! And had a ball doing it--even if I did light my kitchen on
fire with linseed oil and paraffin and blow up a polaroid time zero in the
microwave.
Chris
PS I had them testing 4 dif kinds of Sabattier in lab on thurs. It was
bedlam. But, of course, after reading the Sabattier notes in PF journal, I
am so MAD that all these years of trying to call it Sabattier and not
solarization, and then to find out that Armand Sabattier didn't discover it,
I think I am going to call it solarization just to spite him.