Re: possibly off topic question...

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 03/06/01-09:01:55 PM Z

At 09:15 PM 03/06/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>Does anyone have any information of the shelf life of packaged
>darkroom chemistry? Particularly, D-76, Dektol, HC-110, Fixer, etc, etc.?
>Or more appropriately, If this is not the proper list for this topic, which
>list
>would be the "right" one?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob

  From experience with powdered chemistry its good for at least five years.
Supposedly the metalized paper packaging used by Kodak should be impervious
to air and moisture, but, in practice it doesn't seem so. If developer is
tan or brown colored it has oxidized and should be tossed. I've enountered
very old packages of Dektol which looked like coffee grounds, no good.
  Unopened HC-110 or Rodinal should last indefinitely. Chemicals, like
Acetic acid, which do not oxidize also have indefinite shelf life.
  Kodak gives details of shelf life in its various data sheets. Generally
their life and capacity numbers are conservative.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com