Scanning Autochromes

From: Ed Herny (edphemra@pacbell.net)
Date: 03/07/01-02:13:33 AM Z

Hello,
I am presently researching an old autochrome of Yosemite National Park
as to possible photographer and date. My first challenge is to
successfully scan the image. My scanner is not designed for
transparencies, so I'm having to improvise (experiment). My scanner is
a Hewlett Packard OfficeJetPro 1150C (combination flatbed scanner,
copier, printer).
I have tried placing a mirror face down on top of the autochrome to try
and reflect light back through it, but this did not work. I have also
tried placing a small "light box" with a typical translucent white
plexiglas surface face down on the autochrome to shine light through
it. This produced an image, but it added wide horizontal streaks
parallel to the scanning pattern, and the color was badly distorted.
Has anybody had any experience in trying to get a standard scanner to
scan transparencies by using an outside light source (or any other
method)?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Ed Herny