Re: COPYRIGHT

From: Brian Ellis (bellis60@earthlink.net)
Date: 03/07/01-07:18:59 AM Z

"Fair Use" is a more complex and uncertain principle than many of the
messages in this thread would indicate. There are no fixed rules - each case
stands on its own facts, as the four criteria for fair use set out in
Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976 are applied to those facts. There
certainly is nothing like the 10% principle mentioned here, nor is there any
absolute prohibition against an instructor copying a chapter from a book and
passing it out to the class, as someone else said (the opening language of
Section 107 specifically refers to making multiple copies for classroom
distribution or words to that effect as a potential fair use).

In a school or other non-profit situation the difficulty is compounded by
the fact that there are very few court cases interpreting the statute
because of the cost of litigation. What university is going to spend the
kind of money it would take to establish in court that Professor X can copy
a chapter out of a book as a class hand out? Most of the court cases that
I've seen (such as the Kinko's case someone else mentioned) arise in a
profit context because it's the potential profit that make litigation
feasible. And, finally, the internet has pretty much thrown the world of
copyright into a tizzy.

I hope that anyone reading this thread doesn't rely on anything said here in
deciding whether a particular use is a fair use. Much of what has been said
is misleading, some of it is incorrect.

It might be best to let the lawyers practice law and the photographers talk
about photography.