Re: COPYRIGHT

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 03/07/01-08:36:49 AM Z

<< That last line is important -- but what if you copy one entire chapter
 from a book of 10 chapters???

As Brian pointed out, there is no fixed rule. I think it is bad (based on
conscience instead of legal type of thing), but others might not. But on this
list I'd better be careful on what I say: note that I said I feel bad if I do
that. I did not say that others are bad or have bad conscience. :-)

<< But everything that's not
 *pure commerce* is educational in one way or another... Would that mean if
 it's a private workshop? If it's a commercial workshop? If it's a degree
 granting institution? If it's a discussion group? A think tank? A task
 force? A class in how to compete with the writer? An "alternative"
 school? A mail order school? A private tutorial? >>

I think most universities are non-profit. If it is a for-profit organization,
even an educational organization, I think the law would be applied stricter.
If it is commercial workshop, both the instructor and the organization is
clearly making profit. Sue them. I don't know if you will win, but sue. If
you find me copying and distributing a chapter of a book in my personal
workshop, sue me! It simply doesn't make sense to me to copy others work and
to make money out of it.

>> I suspect it can't be controlled except by social pressure -- if the
>> students disapprove (is that possible?). But I succumb to social pressure
>> myself -- I promise NEVER to tear those old albumen prints out of books in
>> the NY Public Library again.

My biggest temptation one time was when I checked out a very old carbon
printing book from a university library, and it has a nice carbon print
inside. It is so old (100 years or so) that the paper has turned fragile. I
think when I returned it, the library would notice the old age and put the
book in special storage and would never circulate it again (they will
circulate a xerox copy if there is request).... which means the carbon print
will forever be stored and never be seen again. I was tempted to tear the
print out, but I felt it was still wrong, so I didn't do it. Feel good about
it. :-)

Dave S