Re: COPYRIGHT

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/06/01-11:39:03 PM Z

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> - it is used for educational purpose
> - the person who makes the copying does not derive any profit from the copying
> - the copied materials is less than 10% of the total work

That last line is important -- but what if you copy one entire chapter
from a book of 10 chapters???

If you copied a chart from an article, as Dave suggests, and give the
source -- that is a plug of a sort or validation for the rest of it. But
if you copy a full chapter, that's rather a taking. And WHAt is
"educational"? What's clearly verboten is resale -- I take your photo
and put it on a tote bag or calendar to sell. But everything that's not
*pure commerce* is educational in one way or another... Would that mean if
it's a private workshop? If it's a commercial workshop? If it's a degree
granting institution? If it's a discussion group? A think tank? A task
force? A class in how to compete with the writer? An "alternative"
school? A mail order school? A private tutorial?

Etc.

However, as I understand it, if you aren't making money from it, they
can't do too much to you. ON THE OTHER HAND, the school and teacher ARE
making money from it, via the student's tuition.

I suspect it can't be controlled except by social pressure -- if the
students disapprove (is that possible?). But I succumb to social pressure
myself -- I promise NEVER to tear those old albumen prints out of books in
the NY Public Library again.

best,

Judy