Re: Fair Use (was: Copyright)

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 03/07/01-04:27:58 PM Z

In a message dated 3/7/01 12:17:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kthayer@pacifier.com writes:

<< These guidelines are apparently the
 source of the 10% number, although the exact wording says that multiple
 copies for classroom use may be made of an excerpt of "not more than
 1,000 words or 10% of the work, whichever is less." >>

Wow! the "whichever is less" means that most of the time when we deal with a
book, it should be the 1000-word case, which is not much at all; but I like
it. I disagree with mass copying anyway.

>> At the university where I taught in the 80s, the rule was that you could
>> copy a chapter from a book only if the book was no longer in print;

That sounds great and respecting the right of the author. One time a
professor of mine did copy a few chapters from a book which was out of print,
but he requested permission from the original author and included the written
permission as the first page of the copy. I thought that was nice too.

<< if the book was in print and you wanted to use it in your class, the
students had to buy it. I'm sure that if you were the author of the book
 you would agree that this is only fair. >>

Exactly!

Dave S