Re: densitometer

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 03/08/01-09:34:54 PM Z

I could imagine that a densitometr reading only up to 3.0 could be useful
but virtually all of the transmission densitometers (X-Rite, MacBeth,
Norita) that come up on ebay in the $150-500 range read up to log 4.0, and
in color as well so I can 't see any good reason for limiting oneself to a
range of 3.0.

Most step wedges have a log density of over 3.0 at step 21, in my
experience ranging from a low of about 3.08 up to 3.45 depending on
specimen. It is important to remember that high B+F in combination with
overexposure can easily result in Dmin readings of as high as 0.60 - 0.90.
If you read such a negative with a densitometer which only goes up to 3.0
the reading would suggest a maximum DR of 2.1 to 2.4, when in fact it might
be considerably higher if read on a densitometer that reads up to 4.0.

Sandy King