Re: copyright copyleft

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 03/11/01-12:20:01 AM Z

Many documents have been copylefted. See http://www.linuxdoc.org

I am not seriously considering copyrighting the list - I just wanted
people to be aware that there is an established method of insuring
collaborative public information remains accessable.

Even though list messages are archived, abused, copied etc... Each message
is still copywritten, or owned, by its original author.

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 bmaxey1@juno.com wrote:

> Read the link information carefully. It says nothing about work other
> than software, not photos or writing. My advice is this: Forget worrying
> about mailing lists and anything you post. Consider what you post to be
> free to whoever for whatever reason they want to use it. If you do not
> want info widely distributed with the possibility of your post being even
> more widely distributed, and without any hope of protection, DO NOT POST
> IT.
>

> Bob

> >>could copyright the list transactions under terms on the GNU General
> >>Public License (GPL) see http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html .
> >>
> >>The basic idea of the GPL is to put a body of work into the public
> domain,
> >>with the added provision that anyone who redistributes that work with
> or
> >>without changes, must pass along the freedom to further copy and change
> >>it.

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2