Re: copyright copyleft and Happy Anniversary !

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/11/01-01:56:35 AM Z

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:
> Even though list messages are archived, abused, copied etc... Each message
> is still copywritten, or owned, by its original author.

That's my understanding. Bob Maxey seems to be claiming that once you've
written an e-mail to this (or other) list, anyone can use it for any
purpose, willy nilly. For all practical purposes maybe they can, as far as
my power to STOP them, but not *legally.* If so, I could legally copy and
distribute anything from any print publication, which I cannot. I may be
beneath their radar, or not worth their trouble (I hope), but doubt I'd
have much defense in law. Ditto e-mail.

I'd understood, by the way, that the listowner also has rights, should he
choose to exercise them... tho I gather from Gord's messages now that he's
not planning that route to fame and fortune (yet). Meanwhile, seriously,
an edited version of this list would be one of the all-time great
documents of human and photo endeavor. In the early days before it grew so
voluminous, some of us speculated about that... now it's beyond imagining.
If I'm figuring correctly, 7 years THIS MONTH !!

Judy