Re: copyright copyleft and Happy Anniversary !

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 03/11/01-09:34:23 AM Z

Bob Maxey wrote:
> ...If I published a book of Alt formulas, some info from this
> list would be recognized because most of the info is either common sense
> or available elsewhere. I can express the info in my own words and
> nothing could be done about it.

Something can be done about it. And that might be called peer
judgment. If one intends to plagiarize or abuse another's work for
their own means, it could be a remedy and deterrent that they become
"black balled" by their peers. It just makes plain sense to give credit
when using or borrowing another's information.

> If you value some new idea that can be nurtured towards a great work or
> sold to a publisher, do not post it to a mailing list or you will loose
> out when someone else "discovers" the work. You will loose.

The attitude suggested is counter productive to the advancement of
science and, in our little world, alt-photography. It is my hope that
we can be mature enough and intelligent enough to respect the ideas and
work of others.

> ... There has been no steps taken
> to say that this info is protected and must not be re-posted or copied
> without permission.

No steps are needed, it is common sense respect.

> ... But print is different - it is
> more visible than most things on the Internet.

If this is still true, it likely won't be for much longer.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/