Re: Still on Copyright - When a rose isn't a rose...

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Date: 03/11/01-07:06:31 AM Z

I disagree with you on this Callie (whatever).

We do need to qualify our sources, according to their willingness to
stand by their information and credentials. I don't mean academic
credentials either, I mean empirical, tested, or theoretical
credentials. In the past I was only identified as "rosebud" because of
the listserve software. I signed my name, but it was often lost in the
cross postings, snips, cut-and-paste quotes that occurred. I also know
now that "Cactus Cowboy" is Dave Rose, and I have a much better comfort
level with his contributions because of this fact.

Also, we often have the unique opportunity to meet in the flesh with the
APIS gatherings, or the annual Platypus gathering. I've meet or seen the
work of many of this lists participants. To date, only Jewelia has been
successful at maintaining a nom de plume, but that is QUITE a different
story.

We rely on this "honesty" and familiarity to calibrate our own
decisions and trust of the information. Also, as a teacher, I need to
know if the information is worth incorporating into my class... I teach
alt-processes and love to give em the best choices available. Yes, I use
this list to ground my information. It is an invaluable source of "real
world" information, even if it is contradictory at times. Trust is a
major ingredient in this flow.

So in short, why hide? We are adults here, even if we don't act like it
sometimes.

--
Darryl Baird
Assistant Professor of Art