Re: Tibaes in the Minho-Kallitype Permanence (was Real People)

From: Manuel (punctumgt@netc.pt)
Date: 03/12/01-05:41:46 PM Z

>>As with Callie, I have Van Dykes that have been siting in a frame on my wall
>(in various houses) for well over ten years. They look as good as the day
>they were made. I forgot who did this, but a kallitype was actually
>attached to the inside window of a car. This person drove around with the
>print in the back window for two years without showing any sign of
>degrading. If my memory serves me, this person lives in a very sunny
>climate where the effects of the sun would be very apparant.

Yes, I remember the story, and the person was from Portugal. Carlos *&^^&???

Sandy,

Hi,

That person was Carlos Gasparinho, who introduced me to Platinum printing,
3 years ago.
Unfortunately, he continues to be the only portuguese person I know that
has knowledge about this matter.

> From: Sandy King <sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu>
> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:23:10 -0500
> To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
> Subject: Tibaes in the Minho
>
> Tell me more about Tibaes. I am going to be in Portugal for a week or so in
> late April.
>
> Sandy King

Tibães is a small place near Braga in the north of Portugal that has an
amazing old monastery that I firs visited some years ago to admire a Sally
Mann exhibition . It really deserves a visit, but you can find many other
beautiful places in this region.
Sometimes the fresh vision of a foreigner can teach us to appreciate in
a better way our own country.
Bring loads of film with you !
Please let me know if I can be useful in your next visit to Portugal. :-)

Regards,

Manuel