Re: Poor man's densitometer

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/16/01-01:23:57 PM Z

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Tom Ferguson wrote:

> No, this type of "gift" is great to have. It saves time and money
> (materials). It is a fun trick to tease friends (me) with. But it doesn't
> make anyone a "better" photographer. It is a way of working towards the
> goal (the print). It can not be seen in the print, and thus is of no value
> to the viewer of the print.

Interesting point, tho I suppose it *could* be argued that even tho it may
not be seen in the print, it INFORMS the print. Anyway, if that kind of
thinking is necessary then I'm in wrong field. But it also occurred to me
to mention that one of the very best photographers I know (& famous even)
has never to my knowledge developed a negative. He has a nice lab -- as I
surely would if any of them were nice enogh & I had an assistant to
schlepp back & forth. No one could make my *prints*, but I'd let Attilla
the Hun make my negs if s/he was any good at it.

Judy