Re: Cutting up magazines and the beasts

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 03/16/01-07:09:09 PM Z

Judy wrote
> Randall, your friend from Kansas is really stupid. In the first place, you
> can get germs from chewing string. Who knows where it's been first? In
> the 2nd place, that's really disgusting. You bring the string WITH you,
> already wet, in a plastic baggie. In the 3rd place, only libraries in
> Kansas would have anything worth taking any more, probably because a) they
> never had anything except the Farmer's almanac to begin with, or b) nobody
> goes to the library in Kansas.>>>>>>>>>

Judy.
Am I to assume that you think I am some sort of slob who totally disregards
the health and safety aspects of page stringing?????
I am disappointed!!! I'll have you know that I use only the best white
string (no nylon) from a reliable hardware store. I first boil it for 20
minutes in distilled water and then sterilise it in a weak solution of
hydrogen peroxide. Finally a wash in plain water. I agree with you about the
plastic baggie.Use one provided it has not been used to contain something
unpleasant such as a dead cat or a Macdonalds beefburger ( or are they the
same thing?). I'd hate to spoil a book with noxious chemicals or bacteria.

> And in the 4th place, in New York City you just slip the book into your
> tote bag because the guards at the door are so comatose they don't check
> anything unless you absolutely INSIST ! It's possible I just have an
> honest face (tho I don't think so)>>>>>>>>>

It always amazes me how our colonies take such a cavalier attitude to thair
literary heritage.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< but I have handled some amazing
> material there &...>>>>>>>>>>>

Please! Do I want to hear this??

<<<<<<<<<But Randall, ditch that friend. He's
> useless.>>>>>>>>>

His family made a fortune out of farm equipment in Kansas. Come to think of
it he was a friend of a friend and has been dead some years.
But before this RW/JS cabaret act becomes total farce there is a serious
purpose underlying it. String is a variation on the traditional method of
making an imitation deckle on mould made paper or on some fine Japanese
papers. Handmade paper has four deckles so doesn't need it. And nobody
prints on machine made paper.
It is dealt with in a book called " The Book of Fine Paper " by Sylvie
Turner published by Thames & Hudson London 1998. It is a book no alt/proc
printer should be without.
Randall Webb