Re: Tripod heads for 12x20, etc.

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 05/03/01-12:19:01 AM Z

Michael,

You will probably get all manner of comments on this inquiry. It seems to
be there are two reasonable alternatives to consider: 1) use the sturdiest
head and tripod available, irrespective of weight, or 2) use the lightest
combination that does the job. Choice of aluminium versus wood seems
irrevelant to me, except for romantic considerations.

For my own work with the 12X20 camera I have found that the Manfrotto 3039
head on a 3036 tripod base provides adequate stability and rigidity for all
of my landscape work. I am currenlty using a Canham 12X20 (about 17 lbs)
but have also used this combination for another heavier 12X20 with no
problem. I use a quick releasse with the 3039 head, 4", which I keep
permanenlty attached to the camera base.

Regards,

Sandy King