Re: Process Colours for Gum

From: Rosae Reeder (erzolisae40@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/08/01-08:07:28 AM Z

The thing about process colors in any process is the translucency factor.
Most process colors are made to be more translucent than other colors. In
gum printing, and with watercolor, the medium (water or gum) that you use as
a vehicle allows you to acheive this translucency. you should be able to
push this by the amount of gum that is added to the pigment.

I have had successful as well as disasterous results using Aliz. Crimson. I
find that my successes in printing in a process color fashion, depends upon
my application, and the density of my gum/watercolor mixture. If the pigment
is too dense, the color below will be muted out and sometimes the current
application color will all wash away. If it is not dense enough, the color
below will be too strong..I know this is all common knowledge but instead of
looking for a specific match color for your "magenta" I think it is best to
do some experiments in application and mixture.

I will say for the record that I do not use any kind of set formula for
mixing my gum pigments, I mix then test for density on a piece of white
paper.

The Cyanotype under gum seems like a wonderful idea..I plan to try that
myself.

Rosae