Re: Process Colours for Gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 05/08/01-08:43:28 AM Z

I've been driving for the last six hours and I don't have a radio in my
car, so I've had a lot of time to think about this. Rosae is exactly
right: most often printing tricolor gum the way we want to see it is
more about practice than about choosing the exact colors. "Process"
colors will print all the way from eye-poppingly intense to pale and
drab, depending on a great many other things: the density range of the
negatives, the concentration of pigment in the mix, the type of light
source, the proportion of sensitizer in the emulsion, the type of paper,
the color cast of the paper, the amount of sizing, duration of
development, etc etc etc. For example, a yellow that starts out very
intense and maybe even too dark by virtue of being overexposed can be
mellowed down to a cool pale lemon by staying overnight in the wash
water. So there's lots of latitude in color, if you learn how to take
advantage of it.
kt