Re: Process Colours for Gum

From: Peter Fredrik (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Date: 05/09/01-07:55:52 PM Z

Dear Dave,

Dave Rose wrote:

> Hello Katherine,
>
> Could you recommend suitable pigments to achieve "brilliant and saturated"
> results?
>
> So far I've experimented with: Cyanotype, Phtalo Blue, Cadmium Yellow,
> Quinicridone Red, and Alizarin Crimson. Printing test 4x5 negatives (photo
> of a gray card and color chart), I've been able to get good color balance,
> but the color is anything but brilliant. I'd love to get Cibachrome
> intensity in a 3-color gum print.

I operate a similar system to gum /bichro using whole egg as an emulsion and
have for the past few years managed to achieve highly saturated coloration in
my prints . In formulating this process the following
pigments have been most helpful in obtaining strong saturated colour

.Cyan = Phalocyanine Blue (ASTM PB15) has a lot of names Windsor, Monstral blue
etc. and comes as previously stated in a green or red shade. I use the red
shade most of the time. This is an easy colour to use, but it does have a high
tinting strength , and therefore liable to stain.

Magenta = Acra Violet (Quinicridone Magenta ASTM PR 122) will need more coats
to reach the same colour value as the phalocyanine blue

Yellow = Hansa Yellow Medium (Arylide Yellow ASTM PY 73) a nice transparent
pigment

I have found however that the problem of dull colour does not lie with the
pigment, but considerations
which are primarily to do with

1) pigment stain

2) dichromate stain

Most pigments don't stain but the water-colour paper does ! in fact it is made
for that express purpose Water-colour paper is made to work for water-colour
painting not gum / PVA/egg printmaking .The function of the water-colour paint
is to stain the paper. It has to go into the surface and get attached to the
paper fibres and not come out. With sensitive sizing and precise balancing of
the gum and the pigment mix a skilled gum printer can travel along a razor edge
of technique whereby the pigment emulsion can go into the paper and come out
leaving no pigment behind to adulterate the image. It is hard work a true
labour of love , and the gum printers that achieve this control in multicolour
work have my sincere admiration.

I have dealt with this topic in a previos thread. So I will just repeart my
findings --: