Re: Process Colors for Gum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/10/01-07:03:37 PM Z

On Thu, 10 May 2001 bmaxey1@juno.com wrote:
> ....compound your own colors from the Kodak formulas. with these dyes,
> there can be no doubt as to how close they come to process colors.
>
> In lieu of that, select colors that come as close as possible to the
> required colors, experiment and take notes. It seems to me that most of
> you just want an approximation anyway, and are not really interested in
> fidelity. Sole like strong colors and some like pastels or shades
> between.
>
> Also remember that your result will not equal mine or others on this list
> because we most likely are not using the exact same formulas. We can all
> use the same basic formulas and even the same general color, but we will
> differ.
>
> By using dyes you gain permanence that is exceedingly high and has
> excellent longevity.

But for one thing, you don't gain a gum print. You can't make a gum
print with a dye, because it stains the paper..... And in the 2nd place
PERMANENT PIGMENTS ARE ALWAYS MORE PERMANENT THAN DYES, which is why Epson
vaunts its new pigment printers, which are in other ways more difficult
than the dye ink printers.

This may be an argument for the old dye transfer process (which died for
various good or bad reasons) as more permanent than other color from
silver processes, but it's non-advice for gum printing, which was the
topic.

A gum print made from archival pigments is as permanent as the paper.
There really is no reason the *color* can't match cibachrome should you
get such craving, tho odds are if that's your aesthetic you're somewhere
else.

Judy