predictable Sabatier

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/14/01-02:48:17 AM Z

On Sun, 13 May 2001 Smieglitz@aol.com wrote:

> ... Also, I defy anyone to make a *predictable* sabatier effect on
> film or paper and duplicate the results...not that I'm saying anyone should
> be doing this. PS lets you do it in a second using the curve function on a
> file.)

Actually Joe, having printed only Sabatier for 6 or 7 years, maybe more, I
promise that if you pay attention, time the first & second exposures,
& the interval between them, and use two trays of developer so your print
goes into the SAME developer each time, not one being continually changed
by by-products, the process is very controllable & predictable (within
limits -- about like gum printing) ... also far more beautiful (in my
experience) than digital "sabatier" which lacks the subtlety & variation,
also the silvery midtones...

I generally did both exposures through the negative, so whites stay white
& the mackie lines are black, white, or gray -- explained in detail P-F
#2, along with methods of 6 or 8 other Sabatier printers who also had
their techniques well in hand (& all different).

Judy