Re: Digitan(sic) Negs

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 05/14/01-02:23:41 AM Z

>>I don't think the CDs I have will last that long, but I'm more worried
about >>technology changes.

Actually, there is growing evidence and concern that the materials used
to create CDs have a far shorter life span than we originally thought.
Unfortunately, we will not know exactly what will happen until many years
from now. There are many, many audiophiles that are glad that large
catalogs of music still exists on vinyl. Records are still great for
archival storage.

I have read reports about problems with changes in the thin films used to
make CD's over time, changes that can cause some of the information to
disappear because of how the CD is processed, and problems with
separation of this layer from the disk material. It is funny that we
worry about archival processing for film, but few ever think about the CD
its'self.

We will have to wait and see what happens.

B.