Re: Eye Is a Camera

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/15/01-12:36:58 PM Z

On Tue, 15 May 2001, terry roth wrote:
> .... a
> picture of his, an indoor shot of a windowsill with backlit linen curtains,
> and an intense reflection of sunlight on the wall,

That's one of my alltime-favorite photographs.

But, although I realize White was sincere in his writing & many folks
sincerely are inspired by it... I still say it's a sort of spiritual hum
(is that mantra?) that people see -- or read -- what they want/need into.
I mean how many folks would have responded even once to the take your own
photograph thing, or cared, if it were NOT tagged "Minor White" ?

Too late now, but I think of a "test" with an equally conundrumish
quatrain, but an invented one, send out as "Minor White" & let the
"interpretations" roll in. (Well, also too late -- that's been done in
infinite manifestions and messages, reported in infinite papers &
publications. And guess what? Yeah, deliberate gibberish is seen as
coherent and meaningful.)

If you COULD say it in words, why bother with messy chemicals & expensive
lenses?

Judy