Re: Eye Is a Camera

From: terry roth (terryroth@earthlink.net)
Date: 05/15/01-10:31:29 AM Z

> Minor, who partly founded my department, and taught here for a few years,
> did find thoughtful company in ideas perpetrated by Zen.

Your comments were insightful, Jack. I dropped the quote from White onto
the list because I was just re-reading his letters in "Rites and Passages".
I think the "become a camera" quote means just that---
become transparent, let the camera link the eye and the heart, not the
brain. Don't just be a camera operator.

    White's involvement with the Gurdjief movement was long---from the late
50's until his death in 1976. His work, sometimes symbolic, become more
perceptive and "mystical" toward the end, reflecting the Gurdjief
principle"Wake up!"---do not be constrained by the intellect. His
eastern-oriented philosophy turned off a lot of folks in the conservative
circles, but his work is incredibly strong. I was exclaiming about a
picture of his, an indoor shot of a windowsill with backlit linen curtains,
and an intense reflection of sunlight on the wall, when my wife remarked
"everything we see is made of light". Minor would have loved that !