Re: Mammoth Camera Workshop Cancelled

From: Michael Mutmansky (psu4ever@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 05/17/01-09:52:29 PM Z

Don,

The prices may have gone up from last year, but last year, with early admission
the price was $2000, and that DID include room, board, and transportation during
the week. At that price, it was quite fair, and the experience was well worth
it in my opinion.

Where else do you get the opportunity to actually use cameras from most of the
ULF makers, including some old Koronas and Folmers? Ron Wisner, Keith Canham,
and Richard Phillips were all there to assist with their cameras. I quickly
figured out which camera designs I liked, and by the end of the week, had a good
idea of the camera I wanted to get, and also the format I wanted.

We started out with ULF cameras on the first day, and then over the rest of the
week had the opportunity to use any number of cameras of choice, from an 8x10
Hobo with a 90mm angulon to the very large Polaroid cameras. I came back with
negatives from the round 8x10, 8x16, 7x17, 8x20, and 12x20, as well as the
Polaroid camera. There were also some 11x14 cameras, a 5x7, 4x10, and probably
more that I can't remember right now.

It's unfortunate that the workshop didn't fly this year, but hopefully it will
go next year, because I believe it will introduce more people to these quirky
and wonderful formats, which are slowly passing into the night.

Rocky, if you have the time available in early July, call up Dick Sullivan
(Bostick Sullivan), and see about going to the APIS convention in Santa Fe.
There will be many ULF shooters there, and there may be some events that will be
useful to you, including the Big Camera Day on the Plaza. It's not a week-long
intensive shooting workshop, but it will introduce you to the world of ULF. You
might want to consider it as a consolation prize. I would be there if I had the
time...

---Michael