Re: Gum Green

From: Richard Sullivan FRPS (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 05/20/01-11:36:52 AM Z

At 05:14 PM 5/19/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Judy Seigel wrote:
> > ..
> >
> > But I have read (either on this list or from authorities "met" on this
> > list), assurances that our process leaves the dichromate in its TRIVALENT
> > form already. Which is (some of) what I mean about lack of confidence in
> > "advice" given.
> >

>Where reduction is completed, dichromate is trivalent, but since only a
>small amount of the dichromate is used in order to oxidize the gum
>sufficiently to harden it, (Kosar, 1965) most of the dichromate is still
>in the hexavalent stage. All that yellow-orange in the water is
>hexavalent. Only what's green is trivalent.
>
>Katharine Thayer

Precisely Katharine.

Many will continue to do what they've been doing for years and just dumping
it down the drain just as I have done in the past. I wrote this paper and
am trying to work out a useable procedure as the issue has risen sharply in
the minds of the public since the Brockovich film. Just a few days ago I
had a teacher who was planning the Fall semester's photo classes at a high
school. She was purchasing some materials for teaching gum. As is common,
she actually had never made a print before but that's another story.
Anyway, as we were talking it came out that this was a high school class
and I casually mentioned that the compounds used were similar in chemical
context to those in the Brockovich film. There was a audible gasp and a "Oh
no!" We talked about it a bit and she decided that taking the risk of a
parent finding out the kids were splashing about in hexavalent chromium,
especially after having seen the movie, might cause a bit of a stir. She
decided not to risk it. Perhaps there are some who might think that scaring
away customers does not make good business sense as after all my firm is in
the business of making money. Maybe they're right, but I think we strive to
provide the best information possible. I am not looking to freak out every
one wanting to make gum prints. I just think if folks are informed, they
can make better decisions for themselves.

Another point. I published the paper and in a courteous manner asked for
comments as there are those here that are far better trained in chemistry
than I am. I think that point was made perfectly clear to anyone with a
smattering of literacy. I am in fact at this point clearly questioning my
own advice. Someone redundantly questioning of my "advice" and then
offering misleading information begs the question of who's confident.
Anyone remotely knowledgeable about chemistry would know that not all of
the hexavalent chromium would be converted during the making of a gum print.

The copy was put on the web site. If there is a serious error it can be
corrected quickly. I am much more cautious about putting stuff into hard copy.

And yes, our quantities of hex chromium are small compared to industrial
pollution and I think that point was made clear in my initial post.
Personally I do not have a big concern over casual use and dumping it down
the drain into a municipal system -- your municipal waste folks may have a
concern however. However those living on a septic systems and growing a
garden nearby might want to consider a waste procedure. As far as I know
there are no septic systems in NYNY and most of the gardens are in boxes on
rooftops.

If you have a procedure to show the authorities you may in fact be able to
cover your butt so to speak.

I know of one instance where a photo studios had their sewer lines capped
off at the street. This is a common method of dealing with suspected
polluters. The authorities usually can't come in because they may need a
search warrant but they can cap off your sewer line. Very effective in
getting your attention. This I say on the authority of having worked in
Information Systems for 26 years at the City of Los Angeles. Darkrooms
freak out the authorities and somehow they cause their imaginations run
wild. Who'd think a body shop or a restaurant would be much of a problem.
They are. The grease causes all kinds of problems at the sewage treatment
plant but then darkrooms are mysterious and threatening.

I have for almost a quarter century been reasonably well connected to the
alt photo world and I have heard dozens of horror stories over the years
but with increasing frequency. I can assure you that some municipal waste
folks love coming down hard on the little guy with a darkroom. They get to
put a gold star on the bulletin board showing they are doing their job and
they can do it without having to fight the big guys with lawyers and all.
The gold star they get is the same size.

Finally a quote:

"Nothing is more dangerous than active ignorance."

                         -- Goethe

--Dick Sullivan