Re: Gum Green

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/21/01-02:16:37 AM Z

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Richard Sullivan FRPS wrote:
> .... Someone redundantly questioning of my "advice" and then
> offering misleading information begs the question of who's confident.
> Anyone remotely knowledgeable about chemistry would know that not all of
> the hexavalent chromium would be converted during the making of a gum print.

Dear Richard, FRPS: If "someone... questioning your 'advice'" is supposed
to mean me, cut the spin. I'm sorry I failed to congratulate you on your
contribution, which seemed fair enough so far as it went, but hardly
sermon-on-the-mount level, as you imply here. My premises were stated
quite clearly: If somehow they misled you, I doubt they misled anyone
else. Indeed, if my remarks are the occasion for clarification, I perform
no small service.

Clearly, it's in everybody's interest to advance this inquiry. Shall we
try to do that without starting a war? (Which would be really *redundant,"
tho I don't know what "redundancy" you actually had in mind.)

Being, as I freely admit, NOT "remotely knowledgeable" about chemical
theory is I daresay an excellent reason to ask questions. Besides which,
I'm pleased to report, I can still see physical signs. If for instance,
orange did turn to green in sunlight, it would be an interesting
indication. I'll test that as soon as I get some orange and some sunlight.

Meanwhile, I would suggest that no teacher, ESPECIALLY one who has never
done a gum print, bring the process to high schoolers -- aside from the
safety issues with that age in that environment, in my experience (which
on this point is considerable, having had such students "remedially") for
the blind to lead the blind in gum is, more often than not, to convince
all that it is a useless, frustrating, tiresome and unbeautiful medium.

Cyanotype and vandyke brown are very simple and almost foolproof, and the
ingredients less toxic, excluding the silver nitrate, which somehow
(perhaps the cost?) seems to get more respect.

Judy