Re: Gum "tanning" process (was: Gum Green)

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 05/20/01-10:11:14 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

.. If there is some *visibility* to the "contaminant"

As I've said before, although some dichromate ions have to be reduced
in order to oxidize the gum, it's possible for there to be so few
reduced molecules in proportion to the unreacted dichromate, that the
green will not be visible to the eye. It depends on the light source, on
the length of exposure, on a lot of things. My point was simply to echo
Pete when he said that even if you don't expose long enough to actually
see the green chromium oxide, it's still there on the molecular level,
as the creation of green chromium oxide or some intermediate reduced
chromium compound is inherent to the process.
kt