Re: Field Cameras

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 05/20/01-09:31:17 PM Z

>>High quality multi-coated glass filters available which cause very
little
>>flare and/or image degradation. However, compared to gelatin filters
they
>>are *very* expensive.

Costly, yes. Hard to find, often. However, I have used them for decades -
all my filters are glass series size. I like them because all it takes is
one fingerprint and you must replace it. Also, it takes a special touch
to clean them; more often than not cleaning is impossible as well.

If you are new to Series sized filters, they work like this. Series are
numbered and a filter is selected to cover properly. You then mount the
filter in a series filter holder/adapter ring. Then if you need to fit
the filter to a smaller lens size, you purchase step-up (or step-down)
adapters. A simple, elegant system.

Ont thing is to stay away from those plastic filters such as offered by
Cokin. Lots of cost for precut common plastics. Glass is the clear winner
over the long run.

I prefer dyed in the mass types rather than gels bound between glass.
Here is what you should have for B&W: K2, Red, Med and Dark Green, Orange
and a Polarizer. A few NDs are nice if you prefer fast film and find the
need to shoot in full sunlight. You can add as required.

HCM