Re: 2 squares meter print

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/23/01-06:45:16 AM Z

Lukas Werth wrote:
> ... but I wonder whether
> platinum is really suited for such sizes. How far is it advisable to
> enlarge a negativ to produce the subtleties of tone which form the
> attractions of the platinum process?

I guess Nze will let us know.

It should be considered that the paper or substrate used can limit the
resolution, which is likely to be less than the original negative, and
perhaps several times enlargement of the original. The size and shape
of grain in the negative seems to be of more importance.

I have some confidence that tonal quality and depth can be maintained in
a large Pt/Pd print. However, a concern is how important the
communication with a viewer will be with such a large image. Billboards
can be artistic, but tend to have a commercial connotation. Huge
portraits can make one feel they are experiencing some totalitarian
regime. Is one impressed with the size of a pyramid or the texture of
its blocks?

I have some doubts that a mammoth image of a landscape can compete with
the real thing, whereas smaller renditions can create their own world or
become much more than the real thing. For example, consider the large
mural prints of Ansel Adams (most at the library in Concord
California). These are nice, but tend to approach the decorative
realm. Any larger and they could disappear into the background or
become just background noise. Sort of like wallpaper.

And back to a point of Lukas: if the image is so large and imposing,
then perhaps the subtle qualities of the Pt/Pd process will be
overlooked or rendered insignificant.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/