Re: chemigram

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 05/23/01-10:07:16 AM Z

Birdie, I held your message in my inbox hoping that someone would respond - if someone did, I missed it. I keep a personal archive on the different process I encounter - in looking to catorgorize this one, found the following response from Judy Seigel, bless her. I happened to stumble onto this one because of the similar name - Chemigram vs. Chimigram. Anybody have any comments on a possible typo here?

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Christian Sixou wrote:

> Someone could have-it to give me a simplified process of realization of
> the chimigram ? Thank you advance.

Christian, I'm not sure if this is any help, but all that I remember off
the top of my head about a workshop with Pierre Cordier some 18 years ago:
You put a resist of some sort on the undeveloped photo paper (factory
paper!), exposing it to light, then alternate developer and fixer. As the
resist wears away it makes alternating dark lines or areas from the
developer and light ones from areas fixed without development. Undeveloped
silver halide (always covered by the resist) will be grey-blue, and
various other colors occur when the process is done in the light (as in
acetic acid toning).

Cordier's own work was very beautiful, including some using photo resists
so that the design formed was photographic. He also got various stunning
effects on color paper. The major finesse required is in application of
the resist -- a pattern or screen of some sort would yield interesting
results, but you could also "draw" freehand....

Cordier was in a couple of US photo magazines at the time -- perhaps
Camera Work. But didn't get quite the attention he deserved, at least IMO.
I think, besides not being in the daisy chain here, the fact that some of
his colors hadn't been fixed (the grey-blue halides) freaked out photo
critics...

Judy