Re: chemigram

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/23/01-03:18:44 PM Z

Nick, bless you -- I mean aside from my quiet, indeed humble, appreciation
for your kind words, I am awestruck, simply agog at your retrieval system.
As I realize more keenly each day, whathehell use is it if you can't
access it? And as I also realize more keenly each day, the human brain,
aka analog retrieval system, is as likely to fade as any of the digital or
binary or magnetic storage systems we are warned about. (The NY Times
claims in an article today about how not to get Alzheimers that walking &
not watching TV are good. That is, each separately, although together
would also be good. Indeed I know for a fact that TV CAUSES Alzheimers.
Like in 8th grade.)

Meanwhile, I believe that chimigramme was the French, and chemigram the
English, maybe with variants, as chimigram, and perhaps even
chemigramme...

Pierre Cordier got a terrific amount of coverage in the States whatever
the year was, maybe '83. And I do have a folder on it in one of 11 file
drawers (maybe with my missing Stieglitz article !!). I see I wrote below
that it might have been "Camera Work." That was of course an error. It
almost certainly would have been either Camera Arts (the old one) or
Camera and Darkroom, as the only US magazines of the period that would
have done a non-mainstream process so tastily.

HOWEVER, I think Birdie is talking about something else. She's using the
term "chemigram," but the only ones I know of depended on exposure to
light. She says, "I intend to have a go at producing images on silver
gelatin paper without exposing the paper to light. "

Sometime this year I came across a little paragraph about that in an old
magazine, do thus & thus and you get an image without light. I was
dubious, but marked the place, and, although it's sunk beneath the waves
again here, it may be retrievable. I hope Birdie will report her
findings. However, she says she's looking for compounds that give
different "colour when combined with silver nitrate without requiring
light "....

Which I find confusing. How would you see them without light? silver
iodide and silver chloride etc. will make different colors (as noted by
Tony McClean in upcoming P-F now stalled in bowels of printshop in
Williamsburg as editor grinds her teeth), but unless that's done as bleach
& redevelop of an already made print, as his is, so no fixing is
necessary, fixing is likely to neutralize the colors. AFAIK if you're
doing all without light, silver nitrate is more trouble than it's worth.

Judy