Back in alt-photo : Digital Negatives

From: Adam Kimball (Adam.Kimball@iconmedialab.com)
Date: 05/24/01-04:12:08 PM Z

Hi all,

I'm back on the list, and ready to make some more images. However, I am
super spent on the laborious darkroom life, so in that interest, I'm going
to make a shift from 5x7 pyro developed platinum to 35mm digital negs for
cyano, gum, and probably some platinum. I just picked up a Nikon IV-ED
scanner (not the very nice 4000 which is a bit pricey at this stag) - but I
have some other questions... So, anyone who has been sticking close to the
digital neg stuff (other than Burkholder who I already pester) - I'd be
grateful if you could respond with your opinions/insights into some of
them...

1. For image-setter negs of the stochastic variety - what, if any, software
can I use to do the stochastic RIP - or should I let the image-setter handle
this if it can?
2. For inkjet negs, what are the "in" printers. Looking over the Epson
site, I see there are a bunch of new printers since my 700 photo. Do the
new ones offer much above and beyond on my current printer? I'm not
interested in archival inks for their own merit - only if they are "better"
for negs - i.e. less bleed on transparency material, etc.
3. Anyone working with inkjet negs on platinum - I'd love to hear from you
and share experiences, ideas, and photoshop curves.

I'm sure thats enough for now.. I'm really looking forward to making some
images - it's been a year or more. Much of it spent working (programming)
in Europe where I simply couldn't keep up with the list.

All the best,
Adam