Re: Coffee Table, quality(Nikon D-1)

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 05/25/01-05:28:07 AM Z

That's about right, the Kodak Photo-CD format/system was designed to
give different resolutions, including full resolution from 35mm film.
The top resolution provides an 18mb file. This is max (maybe) for
Ektachrome films, but a good Kodachrome 25 slide is capable of much more
resolution. I once heard it would require around 30mb to reach this
"film resolution."

One thing not mentioned...an aspect of a pure digital image (i.e. not
from a scan) is the ability to sharpen (unsharp mask) this image
greatly. This isn't as possible with a film scan, due to the pattern or
"texture" of the actual film grain, it has a tendency towards digital
artifacts... that dreaded halo. I've seen large interpolations and
sharpening with digital images from the 4X5 (Dicomed) back which I would
have thought impossible based on my experience with high rez film scans.

my $.02 worth

- Darryl Baird