Re: scanning negatives

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@telocity.com)
Date: 05/28/01-06:57:37 PM Z

Bill,

> If you have the choice of scanning your black/white negatives either
through
> the scanner software or through Photoshop's Import option, try both and
> compare the histograms. You may discover that one is superior. I get much
> better black/white scans with my Linocolor Saphir Ultra through the
Photoshop
> Import option,

> It pays to try it both ways. Its easy to do and the histogram is the best
way
> to compare the results.

Thanks for the informative post, but to do the comparison one must have a
scanner capable of scanning film which I don't. I'm trying to solicit
informed users experienced opinions (such as you) that can shed light on
which scanners are capable B&W scanners. You have mentioned the Linocolor as
your machine so I will make a note of that. But more importantly you have
pointed out the bias of most scanners LUTs have for transparency materials.
I need to scan pyro developed 4x5 and possibly 8x10 negatives and have been
unable to get a clear indication if any/many users are doing the same. The
scans will be used for enlarged negatives but also regular inkjet prints. I
will definately be adding the Cone Editon software for this printer and
probably for an Epson 1200.

I currently have an Epson 1160 printer sitting on my desk gathering dust
waiting for me to figure all of this scanning stuff out.

Thanks for your instructive comments,

Don Bryant