Re: Field camera necessities

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 05/31/01-02:43:17 AM Z

At 20:04 30.05.01 +0000, you wrote:
>Thanks for the heads-up, Sandy; I did know that all these things
>were needed, and fortunately my benefactor sent me the whole works: the
>camera, which came with a 4x5 reducing back in addition to the 8x10
>back, two lenses, a Linhof heavy duty tripod, film holders, Steve
>Simmons' book on the view camera, and a box of film. He threw in two
>light meters, either of which is a great improvement over what I had.
>It's been better than Christmas this week at my house for sure. I've
>been pleasantly surprised to find the camera is not as heavy or awkward
>to work with as I feared it might be; now all I need is some kind of a
>carrypack for it and its gear, or maybe a donkey.
>
>Katharine Thayer

I suppose this post found its way to the list by accident; however,
congratulations!

Am I assuming correctly that you intend to travel with an 8x10 field camera?
I have taken my 8x10 two times to South Asia, and when I go next time, the
camera will be with me. Here also, if the camera is not with me, I somehow
feel naked.

I first had only a 4x5, and remember vividly how I dreaded getting an 8x10:
it seemed alltogether too clumsy to me. Now, apart from the large negativs,
the composition of the picture on the groundglass is pure pleasure for me,
and makes me regularly forget any fatigue from dragging the camera around.

Lukas