Re: large ink-jet printers

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 11/09/01-05:43:37 AM Z

Kees Brandenburg wrote:
> Never used pictorico though. I'm wondering if someone tried this
> 'film' with my setup which is: MIS FS and/or PiezoBW quad black inks
> in an epson 1160. Will the MIS inks give good results on this
> pictorico film? ...

Joe Smieglitz (on this list) had sent me some sample density step
digital negatives he made using Pictorico OHP film, an Epson
1160, and Cone Quad ink products which was subsequently coated with a
layer of Krylon acrylic.

I made Pt/Pd prints using these negatives and concluded that more effort
would be needed. Some of my observations follow:

Texture from the Krylon did not seem to be easily detected in the
print. However, there was some distinct banding, likely from the inkjet
printer. This banding could be seen in the negative and showed in the
print.

There also seems to be posterization in what should be the "continuous"
band. Posterization was not noticed in the darker values, and is very
noticeable in the mid through upper values of the print without
magnification.

The densest ink (100%) seems to be able to produce a paper white (in the
print) when given an exposure to produce maximum black with the blank
substrate.

My conclusion at this point is that the posterization issue has yet to
be resolved to make a Pt/Pd print comparable with that from a film
negative. This does not mean that it can not be accomplished, but these
equipment and materials have not demonstrated a capability to do so.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/