RE: Zimmerman's gum process

From: Keith Gerling (kgerling@ameritech.net)
Date: 11/12/01-01:43:45 PM Z

Obviously, my comments were in reference to my own work - which to my mind,
seems to need a black layer. Certainly I make no assumptions about your, or
anybody else's technique, and I'm envious that you have succeeded where I
have failed. Much of my work is made using digital negatives. I've tried
using RGB reversal negatives and using CMY negatives, and I'm not able to
get the same degree of DMAX that I get when using a additional black layer.
It's not that the three colors don't add up to make black, because they do.
It's just that the shadow areas in prints using three colors usually are
weaker. There just doesn't seem to be enough pigment on the paper, and when
I add more I don't like the contrast.

Keith