Re: densitometer question

From: H. C. (bmaxey1@juno.com)
Date: 11/12/01-03:13:38 PM Z

>>Does anyone know if this machine can be used for simple analysis of
>>black and white positives and negatives, or have any other experience
>>using one?

Well, let me preface this comment by saying that it is MY OPINION ONLY.
So, please do not tell me I am 'up in the night' or my comments are
stupid or uninformed. Having said this, let me say that if you learn to
read a negative properly, a densitometer is not necessarily for black and
white photography. It adds one more layer to the photographic process and
does little to help one learn what will print well and what will not
print well.

You can get caught up in using a densitometer to evaluate every negative
you want to print. Experience will give you everything you need to select
the best negative if you have bracketed all over the place, experience
will give you the ability to select the proper grade of paper.

When it comes to printing black and white, nothing beats experience. And
remember, we have a history of excellent black and white prints who never
used a machine to make a decision that eventually came naturally to the
printer/photographer.

I will admit that I used one once, but eventually, learned enough to
evaluate the negative. I believe that a densitometer is seldom required
once you have seriously started printing. If you want to purchase one and
use it, don't let me tell you not to. Just remember that great printing
can be done without one.

Robert