fixing Van Dyke prints

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 11/14/01-07:46:19 AM Z

Judy wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, shannon stoney wrote:
>> Right now I am experimenting with Van Dyke prints. I have some
>> directions that say to use three changes of fixing bath per 8x10
>> print. I assume you can reuse the fixing baths, like with any other
>
>Shannon, WHERE did you get those cockamamie directions? I've
>tested VDB up the wazoo, read everything I THOUGHT was in print, or could
>find, and NEVER saw such nonsense. First of all ANYWAY, when you say
>three fixing baths, it's meaningless unless you say how much volume, let
>alone what strength...

I have to admit that I am using the much-maligned Basic Techniques of
Photography, book 2, because it's the only book I have besides Coming
Into Focus, which doesn't have anything about Van Dyke. Somebody gave
me a bottle of the Van Dyke emulsion, and I don't have the directions
that came with it. The Basic Techniques book says to use hypo, but
it doesn't say what strength. When I was making POP prints, I used
the formula that came with the paper: 150 grams to 1000 mls water.

I regret to also admit that I'm not sure what Joe meant by a 2% hypo
mix. Does that mean 2 gms per 100 mls?

>There are residual iron tests (tiron) and residual silver tests
>(selenium), I got the tiron but never did the test. I tried the selenium
>residual silver test but it didn't work with VDB.

Also, my book suggests adding EDTA to the fixing bath to make sure
the iron washes off.

--shannon