Re: Dense or Density

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/25/01-03:21:31 PM Z

Jeff,

A bit of a puzzle. I expose FP4 quite generously, develop it for a bit
longer than you in PMK, and my exposures with a standard UV source tend to
be in the 7-15 minute range. Seven for low contrast scenes, 15 for very high
contrast, long scale scenes exposed for the shadows. My densest negatives
(foggy films like HP5 and BPF 200 developed in ABC+ pyro) only take 20-30
minutes at most.

Biggest likelihood is excessive overall stain acting as a neutral density
filter, or just plain fogged film. FP4+ should have very thin fb+f levels.
It should look almost like saran wrap with a really pale yellow green tint.
You should be getting good black through the film edge in 4-5 minutes
printing exposure. If not, if the film edge shows a lot of either silver or
stain density, then you've got a problem with fog or overall stain.---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/

NEW PICTURE GALLERIES: Flags and Pumpkins: Halloween 2001 Coal Country Skinny Buildings

---------- >From: Jeff Buckels <jeffbuck@swcp.com> >To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca >Subject: Dense or Density >Date: Sun, Nov 25, 2001, 1:04 PM >