Re: Dense or Density

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 11/25/01-08:12:31 PM Z

I've had the same problem with Rollo Pyro (ABC+) resulting in incredibly
long exposure times although I use mostly TMax 400 and TriX. I get a very
high base+fog using the technique outlined in the Weese article in Photo
Techniques with the Rollo Pyro. For what its worth, I DO NOT have the same
problems with Sandy's Pyrocat-HD, but do agree that adding an extra stop of
exposure (just in case) is a very bad idea with Pt/Pd printing in mind. In
fact, the whiz-bang analysis tools in the BTZS plotter program indicate that
my actual film speed with Tmax 400 and Pyrocat-HD is actually around ISO
600.

I have been advised (but haven't yet tried) that skipping the second, post
development metaborate bath with Rollo pyro will reduce some of the high
degree of overall staining you seem to be getting. I'm going to give that a
shot this week now that I have some time and curiosity to do a little
investigation into the staining problem. I'll let the list know if anything
earth shaking results. I CAN say that the Pyrocat-HD has pretty much solved
the problem for me though, and it seems to give all the benefits
attributable to a pyro developer (e.g. high acutance, great highlight
definition, actinic filtering for UV sensitive processes, and reasonably
short development times) without the high base+fog and toxicity. Check out
www.unblinkingeye.com for the formula. It is incredibly cheap and easy to
mix yourself.

Good luck. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in finding
this difficulty with Rollo pyro.

Best,

Clay