Re: Europe trip

From: Richard Morris (Richard.Morris@brunel.ac.uk)
Date: 10/08/01-02:20:47 AM Z

FORWARDED MESSAGE

"FRPSs gained on Alternative Process Workshops

The number of people who have now gained Fellowships of the Royal
Photographic Society and who have told me how much the alternative process
workshops I run have contributed to their success has led me to reinstitute
the 'From Wedgood to Bromoil' course at Hands-On Pictures in Richmond. The
success is a reflection that people are encouraged to use their knowledge of
alternative processes to bring out their own abilitiies to see, take and make
pictures.

Dick Sullivan's workshop on Ziatypes next week made me realise that these
workshops should really be drawn to the attention of those on the alt list.

Details of the current workshops are on Terry’s website at <A HREF="http://www.hands-on-pictures.com/">
www.hands-on-pictures.com</A> or by e mail from
takingphotos@hands-on-pictures.com but here is an outline of what is on
offer:

Dick Sullivan of Bostick and Sullivan is coming to London to be presented
with his Fellowship and his Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Photographic
Society. While he is in London he will give a workshop at Hands-On Pictures
on 9 and 10 October on his Ziatype process which gives reliable chemical
control over colour and contrast in platinum printing.

Karl Koenig will be giving a workshop on his gum oil process in December.

In November Peter Marshall will demonstrate an approach to digital printing,
Piezography, that is said to emulate the qualities of the platinum print.

Michael Maunder, the owner of Speedibrews, which makes special developers and
toners, will give a workshop on how to use chemistry more effectively in
photographic art.

Terry King will be running special workshops :

1. A two-weekend workshop on Digital negatives for alternative processes
where alternative process prints will be made from the negatives made on the
workshop. The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

2. Multicolour gum bichromate prints where the workshop goes well beyond the
matter of just making a gum print.

3. Terry's two-weekend workshops on the making of a photogravure print from
the participants' own images.

4. 'From Wedgewood to Bromoil' a course on twenty Wednesdays which will cover
salt printing, cyanotypes, albumen, carbon, platinum, kallitype, oil printing
and bromoil and combinations of these processes. The course will be extended
to cover photo-etching and photogravure. This course will start on Wednesday
October 24.

Special workshops are also planned on the art of silver gelatine printing and
coating one's own emulsions and the art of toning with Simon Lewis who ran
the Lewis & Mattina processing house in the City."

Terry King

www.hands-on-pictures.com for pictures and process
http://sirius.secureforum.com:8080/~bostick for moderated photo history and
alt lists
1. An excellent thing is as rare as it is difficult.(Spinoza)
2. A man's reach should be beyond his grasp or what's a heaven for.(Browning)
3. Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora.(Occam's Razor)