RE: mordancage again

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 10/08/01-06:45:18 AM Z

Hi Christina-

This conversation is most appropriate here in the alt-process world!

You wrote:
> Jon, I do have two questions tho: one selenium toned their mordancage
> yesterday and it immediately bleached out in the solution. Any answers?

I'm no chemist - so I'm not exactly sure "the reason." But Pierre-Louis
Martin in France is doing some remarkable (split) toning after/during the
mordancage and getting exotic and beautiful results.

> Also, do you have your students fix their prints after
> redevelopment? I had one students visibly darken over a period of time.

No I don't.

One of the things about this process is what happens to the images over
time- they shift and change color constantly - often becoming more and more
beautiful over time. With mordancage, one really needs to be in a mind set
of simply accepting what this process delivers - to bear witness to the
images. Mordancage is the penultimate process for learning to surrender
control, quitting the masterminding of results - and learning to entrust
oneself the materials and the processes.....

I am delighted you tried this with your class - and that you got interesting
results!!!

Best of luck!

Jon