sabattier--er--sabatier

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 10/10/01-10:02:11 PM Z

Just wanted to report 28 students' testing of sabattier developers today.
(You know, am I the only nutcase reporting all these inane things that no
one cares about to the list? Mordancage? Sabatier? Whatever...anyway.
It's not gum or platinum so humor me and I'll pass along test results.)
     We tested Jolly's developer from his website, Rainwater's formula,
Jolly's developer mixed with potassium bromide to produce a duotone
sabatier, and Jolly's chromoskedasic (sp) sabatier. All kinds of papers
were used, most papers were flashed about 2/3 into their development, while
in the tray of developer, with a 25 watt light bulb suspended about a foot
above the tray for 1/10 of a second. Some used a small maglite (not
penlight) to expose, and that worked, too. Most were printed with higher
filters, 3 /12, 4, or 5. It was an absolute blast.
     The jury vote is in: Rainwater's formula is "the bomb". I bet the
students produced about 200 sabattiers (much prefer the two t's) and every
one in Rainwater's did wonderful Todd Walker like things. The only paper
that did not look great was Ilford Matte. But, that could have been that
student's work.
     The chromoskedasic developer formula was fun (mixing various dilutions
of S2 Activator and S30 Stabilizer and Dektol and water to produce different
colors) and did give some funky colors but I would say that doing a gang lab
sabattier as I did I would do it over with just Rainwater's formula (Judy's
submission a while back):
1 tsp sodium sulfite
1/2 tsp catechol
1 tsp sodium carbonate monohydrate
1/8 tsp phenidone
1/8 tsp potassium bromide
500 ml water
Used full strength.
    We have not toned them yet, so it is possible toning will change some
opinions. And I do have to say Jolly's formula always produced sabattiers
as well as the potassium bromide one, so they are certainly all viable. In
fact, after laboring with dull sabattiers in dilute dektol as per the "old
way" it was magical to get so many to work.
Chris