Re: Ri:sabattier--er--sabatier

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 10/11/01-07:42:05 AM Z

Alberto,
     I'm glad you asked, because I was going to put the gram measures in but
thought it might not be necessary. Here is the recipe that way:
Sodium sulfite 7.6g
Catechol 1.65g
Sodium carbonate monohydrate 6g
Phenidone .25g
Potassium Bromide .8 g
500ml water

     I actually mixed up 8 times the recipe, so I got a gallon at once.
That was easy:

8 tsp sodium sulfite
4 tsp catechol
8 tsp sodium carbonate monohydrate
1 tsp phenidone
1 tsp potassium bromide
4000 ml water
(you can do the math here)

     And btw, Jonathan, I do type sorta fast--had to take it in college;
best course I ever took, that and Intro to Computers! And Garimo, thanks
for the note about Ilford Matte; can't wait to tell the student this; it'll
make her day that it wasn't her work or me continually on her case...

Oh, and if you guys are interested to compare the Prof Jolly formula--it's a
"fake solarol" kinda thing (I think):

metol 12g
sodium sulfite, anhydrous 37.6g
sodium carbonate monohydrate 41g
sodium bromide 4.8 g (or potassium bromide, I figured 5.5g with a 1.16
conversion)
Mix with 1 liter of water, dissolved in order listed, adding a pinch of
sodium sulfite first before the metol to help the metol dissolve. To use:
mix 1:1 with water.

     This still performed always and well, just that side by side tests
showed the Rainwater to be better looking, clearer mackie lines (which Jolly
says aren't really mackie lines) etc.
     For the duotone, I mixed 2 tablespoons of potassium bromide per liter
of developer. (calls for 36g a liter, 31 g. sodium bromide)--actually it
doesn't have to be exact, just plop it in. I had them develop the print in
dektol for 2/3 time, then put it in the warmed up developer which was a mix
of the Jolly formula and the pot brom, and flash it in there. There were
some nice brown tones with that. We have our critique next week and I told
students to keep all notes on what they did and anything further I notice
I'll report back.
Chris