RE: ground glass

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 10/12/01-06:33:31 AM Z

Hi Richard!

As usual, you - and the others on this list - have made the process much
simpler. Many thanks once again to one and all for sharing your thoughts
and experience!

> If you can turn one up look for a Kodak Commercial Ektar in good shape.
> They still go for reasonable prices and are outstanding lenses. There are
> many other older lenses of good quality.

I *may* have located one of these. I'm following up. I would not have
suspected this as a reliable choice with out your prompting....

> I wonder which camera this is; Kodak built a few. The most common is the
> Model 2D.

My 8x10 is an old 2D - I bought it 26 years ago and it's been a workhorse
and is now a dear old friend! I've lugged back and forth across the country
more times than I have fingers, traveled to Alaska with it (on the old
UN-paved AlCan highway: 1600 miles - each way - on a dirt road), and hiked
through the Badlands with it(!).... It rarely leaves the studio now,
although now that I have an enlarger my interest in using it more regularly
is rekindled. (However, I have been using it for the past 10 years to make
annual nude portraits of Jane and her sisters and family during their annual
summer visits here to the coast...)

As for the 5x7 (sorry, I got carried away) - it isn't a 2D. It is a folding
camera, not unlike my Crown-Graphic, and is leather covered. Inside is all
Mahogany(?) (Rosewood?) and polished brass. The holders and camera have a
velvet lined carrying case.... Pretty classy for someone more recently
accustomed to a plastic Diana.

> As far as enlarging lenses the same sources apply. Remember that old
> process lenses, like the Red Dot Apo Artars, which abound at the moment
> make excellent enlarging lenses.

Wait a minute! I am using a 14" Goerz Red-dot Artar on my 8x10. That will
work??? It's a little long for my situation however.....

> The big Durst is a Rolls-Royce enlarger. The only warning is that Durst
> does not support older equipment.

It sure looks to be! I cannot wait to get going with it! The support that
most concerns me most at the moment, however, is the floor that will be
beneath this monster!

Many thanks for responding!

best - Jon