Re: Paper

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/13/01-01:44:55 PM Z

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, George L Smyth wrote:

> Hi folks, it's been a while since I've posted to this list. I have kept up
> with things through Judy's "newsletter" but have been otherwise silent as I

Hi George -- I'm glad you smile when you say "newsletter" ! :-)

> So what do you folks like and where do you get your supplies? (Yes, I
> did think about starting at the top of the list in the back of the
> magazine and working my way down, but if people are using someone with
> great success, then I am willing to additionally reward them.)

My own first choice for paper (and I am a card-carrying paper junky -- tho
not doing pt/pd, which may be your interest) is New York Central Artists'
Materials... admittedly in part because the buyer, David Aldera, is a
friend. However, the selection is excellent, prices AFAIK among the best,
and David is a fount of info. I mean I go in there with a piece of vellum
in hand, and before I can open my mouth he says something like "The
Opaline doesn't come in the 95 gram any more, the 115 gram is fine, but
you might try the Canson" ... (If I could just transcribe from his brain
I'd have an entire issue.) They do mail order -- with as I recall no
minimum. That's a different department, but with a specific (and quick!)
question you could call the store (212/473-7705) & ask for David: He gets
a fair amount of feedback on the vicissitudes from pt/pd printers & will
advise when things aren't hectic. (I think I mentioned that they've got
the Buxton, $10 a sheet, sold out first batch & re-ordered.)

Another good source of paper is Stephen Kinsella, purely mail order,
minimum order ca $40. Good prices & good selection for most art processes.

Daniel Smith has a good selection & (as I recall) good prices, but you
have to buy 10 of a kind.

As for specific papers, "About the Paper" (Post-Factory #5 beginning page
38) names and describes major papers for cyanotype, including *contrast*
range of various -- in my experience VDB & kallitype probably, usually,
work similarly, tho pt/pd probably not.

Judy